The Intra-Africa Academic Mobility Scheme is the EU’s programme to encourage international learning mobility across the African continent. The programme provides support for consortia of African Higher Education Institutions and scholarship opportunities for African trainees, students and staff.
The Intra-Africa Academic Mobility Scheme is part of the Youth Mobility for Africa flagship initiative which aims to support learning opportunities and exchanges and ultimately to promote Africa as an attractive study destination. Youth Mobility for Africa is one of the flagship initiatives related to Education and Training under the EU-Africa Global Gateway Investment Package
More specifically, the programme aims to:
- Promote inclusive learning mobility opportunities with a focus on climate change mitigation and adaptation in curricula and research programmes;
- Increase the employability of higher education students and trainees, specifically in green jobs, and their entrepreneurship skills;
- Improve the quality, relevance, internationalisation and climate change focus of higher education in Africa.
The Call is open to all themes/subject areas relevant to the action’s objectives.
Eligible applicants, partnership and individuals
Higher education institutions (HEIs) private or public, registered in Africa that provide courses at postgraduate level (master level and/or doctorate degree) of higher education leading to a qualification recognised by the competent authorities in their own country. Only HEIs accredited by relevant national authorities in Africa are eligible. Branches of HEIs from outside Africa are not eligible.
Proposals must be submitted by a consortium of at least 5 and maximum 7 applicants (beneficiaries; not affiliated entities), which complies with the following conditions:
– Minimum 4 and maximum 6 HEIs from the eligible countries in the following African regions: East and Central Africa, Southern Africa and Indian Ocean, West Africa.
– One HEI from one of the EU Member States (EU technical partner)
– Maximum 2 HEIs from the same eligible country in Africa.
Two categories of projects will be selected:
– Sub-regional projects involving HEIs from at least four different countries from one of the following African regions: East and Central Africa, Southern Africa and Indian Ocean, West Africa.
– Cross-regional projects involving HEIs from at least four different countries representing the three following African regions: East and Central Africa, Southern Africa and Indian Ocean, West Africa.
Eligible activities and duration
The project will entail the organisation and implementation of student and staff mobility in high quality master and doctoral programmes and academic/administrative staff mobility, as well as the provision of education/training and other services to foreign students and teaching/training and research assignments and other services to staff from the countries covered by the project.
Mobility must take place only in Africa.
Projects should normally last 48 months.
The overall indicative amount made available under this Call for Proposals is EUR EUR 27 000 000 allowing around 15 projects.
Deadline: 15 June 2023, at 17.00 CEST.
Read more here.