Erasmus+Mobility Project for Young People - Youth Exchanges
Under this action, organisations and informal groups of young people can receive support to carry out projects bringing together young people from different countries to exchange and learn outside their formal educational system.
Erasmus+ supports non-formal learning mobility of young people in the form of Youth Exchanges, with the objective to engage and empower young people to become active citizens, connect them to the European project as well as help them acquire and develop competencies for life and their professional future.
More specifically, Youth Exchanges aim to:
- foster intercultural dialogue and learning and feeling of being European;
- develop skills and attitudes of young people;
- strengthen European values and break down prejudices and stereotypes;
- raise awareness about socially relevant topics and thus stimulate engagement in society and active participation.
The Action is open to all young people, with a special focus on those with fewer opportunities.
« Youth Exchanges » is an opportunity allowing groups of young people between 13 and 30 years old, from at least two different countries to meet and live together for up to 21 days.
Youth exchanges are managed by youth organisations, informal groups of young people or other organisations.
During a Youth Exchange participants, supported by group leaders, jointly carry out a work programme (a mix of workshops, exercises, debates, role-plays, simulations, and outdoor activities) designed and prepared by them before the Exchange.
The aim is to make young people develop competencies, become aware of socially relevant topics/thematic areas, discover new cultures, habits and lifestyles, mainly through peer learning, and strengthen values like solidarity, democracy, and friendship.
The learning process in Youth Exchanges is triggered by methods of non-formal education. A Youth Exchange can also be a good setting for discussing and learning about inclusion and diversity issues.
Youth Exchanges are based on transnational cooperation between two or more participating organisations from different countries within and outside the European Union.
Additionally to Youth Exchanges, projects could also comprise of Preparatory Visits.
Eligible participating organisations:
- a non-profit organisation, association, NGO; European Youth NGO; a public body at the local, regional, or national level; a social enterprise; a profit-making body active in Corporate Social Responsibility;
- an informal group of young people;
- established in
- – an EU Member State (Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Cyprus, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden)
- – or a third country associated to the Programme (North Macedonia, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, Serbia, Turkey)
- – or a third country not associated to the Programme neighbouring the EU (Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Kosovo, Montenegro, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Georgia, Moldova, Territory of Ukraine as recognised by international law, Algeria, Egypt, Israel, Jordan, Lebanon, Libya, Morocco, Palestine, Syria, Tunisia, Territory of Russia as recognised by international law).
Who can apply
Any eligible participating organisation or group established in an EU Member State or third country associated to the Programme or a third country not associated to the Programme neighbouring the EU .
A mobility activity is transnational and involves at least two participating organisations (sending and receiving organisation) from different countries.
The activity must take place in the country of one (or several, in case of itinerant activities) of the organisations participating in the activity.
Activities within EU Member States and third countries associated to the Programme: all participating organisations must be from an EU Member State or third country associated to the Programme.
Activities with third countries not associated to the Programme neighbouring the EU: the activity must involve at least one participating organisation from an EU Member State or a third country not associated to the Programme neighbouring the EU (regions 1-4)
Youth Exchanges (5 to 21 days, excluding travel days).
Duration of project: 3 to 24 months.
Where to apply
To the National Agency of the country in which the applicant organisation is established.
- 20 February at 12:00 (midday Brussels time) for projects starting between 1 June and 31 December of the same year;
- 1 October at 12:00 (midday Brussels time) for projects starting between 1 January and 31 May of the following year;
- If an additional round is organised, applicants have to submit their applications by 7 May at 12:00:00 (midday Brussels time), for projects starting between 1 August and 31 December of the same year.
Interested organisations should read the Erasmus+ Programme Guide.
For further support, they should contact the National Agency in their country.
If you are a young person interested to take part in this activity, please get in touch with the Erasmus+ National Agency in your country.
Find out more here.