Sport as a tool for integration and social inclusion of refugees
Launched by the European Commission, the call EAC/S05/2020 aims at supporting local sport projects focused on the integration of refugees.
The expected outcomes of this preparatory action will include:
- Promoting the direct engagement of refugees and host communities;
- Promoting a Europe-wide approach, increasing the potential for host communities to successfully engage and integrate refugees through sport;
The term “refugee” indicates people having formal refugee status in an EU Member State as well as people who have officially applied for refugee status in the EU and whose applications have not yet been processed. People with a migration background who are not “refugees” are excluded from the scope of this call for proposals.
The expected outputs would be the following:
- Organise sport activities for refugees;
- Promote the practice of sport and physical activity by refugees;
- Promote the cooperation of refugees and host communities in the organisation of sport activities.
Who can apply
In order to be eligible, projects must be presented by public or private organisations with legal personality who are mainly active in the sport field and that regularly organise sport competitions, at any level, legally registered in one of the EU Member States.
For British applicants
Please be aware that following the entry into force of the EU-UK Withdrawal Agreement1 on 1 February 2020 and in particular Articles 127(6), 137 and 138, the references to natural or legal persons residing or established in a Member State of the European Union are to be understood as including natural or legal persons residing or established in the United Kingdom. UK residents and entities are therefore eligible to participate under this call.
- Sport activities aimed at promoting participation of refugees;
- Preparation and training of sport coaches and staff who will work on integration and social inclusion of refugees through sport;
- Development of activities and identification of good practices about participation of refugees into sport activities aimed at their integration into host societies.
Duration – implementation period
These activities must take place in the EU Member States.
The duration of the project will be of a minimum of 24 months and of a maximum of 36 months.
Activities may not start before 01-01-2021.
Activities are to be completed by 31-12-2023.
The total budget earmarked for the co-financing of projects under this call for proposals is estimated at 1.650.000 EUR.
The EU grant is limited to a maximum co-financing rate of 80% of eligible costs.
The maximum amount to be awarded per project 300.000 EUR.
The minimum amount to be awarded per project of 200.000 EUR.
The Commission expects to fund approximately 6 projects.
Deadline: 1 June 2020, 12:00 Brussels time.
Find out more here.