The Anne Frank Creative Writing Awards
In this time of lockdown, when people are separated from each other, we invite you to write a poem, story, essay or article inspired by Anne Frank which shows how important it is that we all live together with kindness, respect and equality.
“When I write I can shake off all my cares. My sorrow disappears, my spirits are revived!”
-Anne Frank, aged 14 (5 April 1944).
- To take part you must be aged between 10 and 15
- Your piece of writing can be factual or make-believe, about yourself or about other people or events.
- Ask your teacher, social worker or youth worker to email your work to us at firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible, and no later than 30 June 2020.
Gallery, feedback & prizes
We will be sharing lots of the entries on our social media challenges, and choosing many for a virtual gallery on our website.
Every entry will receive individual written feedback and a certificate of participation. We are aiming to get these two you within two weeks of receiving your work.
Entries will be judged on creativity and quality of writing, on the originality of your take on Anne Frank and on the strength of your anti-prejudice message. Your message and the link you make with Anne can be either explicit or implied.
Awards will be given in 4 categories:
- Poetry ages 10 to 12
- Poetry ages 13 to 15
- Story, essay or article ages 10 to 12
- Story, essay or article ages 13 to 15
The winning entry in each category will be read aloud by Anthony and Bernardine, filmed and shown on our website.
There are two top Platinum Awards – one for best poem, one for best story, essay or article. The prize for each of these awards is a fully-paid trip to the Anne Frank House in Amsterdam for the winner with an accompanying adult. The trip will include return travel from the UK, an overnight stay in Amsterdam, and a special welcome and behind-the-scenes tour of the House. The trip will take place once lock-down has ended and travel is allowed.
The judges will also award Gold, Silver and Bronze Awards, each with special certificates, and with lots of prizes, including:
- book tokens
- signed copies of The Promise by Anne Frank’s step-sister Eva Schloss
- copies of graphic novel version of The Diary of Anne FrankWe are very grateful for support for the Anne Creative Writing Awards from the Old Possum’s Practical Trust.
Visit the Anne Frank Creative Writing Awards website.